Your First Craft Show! Everything You Need to Know






Your First Craft Show! Everything You Need to Know


I am in a lot of different facebook groups for artists and festival vendors. In fact I run 2 of my own: West Coast Artists & Artisans, and Artisan Vendors of Humboldt County. Since I am a total craft show nerd, I soak up all the information posted there. Just like when I attend shows with my booth, I observe and listen to everything. I'm into it! Some of the groups focus on tips for making your booth better, or specifically selling at shows. So I love to chime in, and also take stock of what newer sellers are thinking about. It interests me and I'm always thinking of how I can help. 

Very often I see someone say "Help! It's my first show coming up! What do I need to know??" Kind of cracks me up, because that is a huge question! They will get all kinds of answers, long and short. It's always a little chaotic because like, where do you even start? So I thought I'd make a post that organizes my most useful First Show info in one place, and maybe I can share the link the next time someone asks that question. Most of these topics have been covered in my previous posts, so I will try to be brief here. Follow the links to more detailed info. Okay... begin!



Start here if you are still looking for your show or working on your display:


1. Business Legalities

The main things you are probably wondering about here are business licenses, sales tax and insurance

Okay look, I'm going to be radical right now and tell you that for your first show, you don't need to worry too much about all the legalities. The specific show info will tell you what they require when you apply. For now, those things will be enough. Be sure to take those items to the show, or have a copy on your phone, in case you are asked for them.

Of course you should run a legal above board business!! But don't freak out about it right now. Here are some more details about what you might need:

Depending on your state, you might be required obtain a state resale license, and to collect and submit sales tax. Search by your state to find the government web site with your local information. One good resource is the Small Business Development Center, use the link to find your local chapter. They will have lots of useful information, including a business startup checklist and all the local tax and license info you need. They also run free and low cost business classes that are awesome. 

Again, I'm going to be a little crazy here and say that for your first show, including the sales tax in your prices will be fine. Certain states will want you to do it a certain way, you should definitely find out and do it the right way using the info above. But nobody will be going around checking on you, esp at your little community fair. 

If the show requires liability insurance (to protect the show against any damage/injury by you or within your booth),  they will ask for it. Most people I know use ACT, which is specifically for festivals. You can buy it for one show or for the whole year, and it's very reasonable. (Just fyi, this is different than product insurance, which protects your goods from theft or damage. Good idea to have it, but not required by shows.)



2. Stock Up

The big question is, How much stock should I take?? The short answer is, as much as you can.  I will have a future post about how much is too much, or too little, for effective visual merchandising and selling in the booth. But for now, whatever you have will be fine, as long as you can cover your show costs. 

More here: Show Time


Mermaid Moon print on a tiny cotton dress.


3. Basic Marketing Materials

You should definitely have some kind of business card or paper flyer to give to your customers. They need to find you later! This is your big chance to promote your etsy store, your other upcoming shows, your contact info for future orders. Such a simple and cheap thing! 


You should also have at least one sign with your business name, and what you make. Even if you don't have a banner yet, print something off the computer and laminate it. Tell everyone who you are! 


4. Money Bag

You need a place for your money, keep it on your body. Take credit cards! Get a Square or Paypal reader for your phone. $100 cash change works for me. 

More here: Money Talk



5. Always be prepared to do well.

I've said it before, this is always my motto when getting ready for a show. Do everything you can to set yourself up for success! Get your goods stocked up, your booth looking clean, your marketing stuff printed, and a good night's sleep. Anything can happen, put your best foot forward. That includes having things ready on time, so you don't freak out on the day of the show.

I'm going to give you some deep advice right now. There is *always* more you can do to get ready for your show, always more things to make or finish. You have to set a work cutoff point and stick to it.  Get as much product done as you can a few days before, then spend the last day packing and pricing everything. Set a bed time that assures you get a full night's sleep and stick to it. Seriously. It's so easy to want to stay up all night trying to finish everything. You must be realistic!  The show itself has its own stresses and stuff to deal with, don't add to it by trying to do too much at the last minute.

One last tip here, leave yourself enough time to set up properly. Don't be that guy. Please. Who shows up 1/2 hour before show time and has no idea how to put up their tent. You are killing me!  Even if you have a small table booth, you need 1-2 hours for setup. Remember, you have to unload the car, trolley the stuff from a distance. Then set it all up and put your goods out to look neat and nice. You will want to fuss around with the display, go get a cup of coffee, chat with the neighbors. It's a lot. Get there early. Bonus points if you set up your booth ahead of time and make a chart, so you know exactly what will go where. I almost always make a diagram. I guarantee it will lower your setup time and stress levels. 

More here: Show Time


Lower print is now my Magical Money Bag.


6. Get Organized

Use a Booth Box and a Tool Box to keep your essentials where you can find them. Have a big envelope with your important documents: show info, business licenses, etc. 

Make a checklist!  Put every. single. thing. on it. I cannot stress this enough, you will sleep better I promise.

My personal checklist: The Ultimate Craft Fair Checklist
More here: Show Time


7. Take a friend, make a friend.

For your first show, think about taking a friend with you. You'll feel more comfortable, you can take bathroom breaks or go get food, and have someone to visit with.  It's nice to have help with the carrying and setting up too. Do be careful not to chat too much and ignore customers though, they do not like to interrupt. 

If you go solo (or even if you don't), definitely make friends with your neighbors! You will learn so much, and they can help watch your booth if you need to grab a quick break. I swear if you and your booth neighbor hit it off, you will be friends for life. This is your new community, it's one of the most awesome aspects of doing shows in my opinion. 

8. Post it on Social Media

Now, for your first show I wouldn't go nuts buying ads right away. But you definitely should be posting about your first show on all your accounts! Share the fb event on your own page (business and personal), ask your friends to share as well. Any and all advertising for the show is good for everyone involved. Go into the event page and post pics in the discussion area using your business account.  I definitely look there to see what vendors will be at the events. (Or for IG, comment on any posts about the show.) Go into a local selling fb group and post pics of your work with the show info. I mean, don't go crazy and spam a bunch of groups that aren't for selling, or post 10 times in the event or anything. But put the word out there a little bit.  At least you will get a few friends to show up and support you, and help promote the show. Share the excitement!


9. More Tips

Go here for my simple sales technique and common newbie mistakes:  Show Time
Here are some more tips from my very first craft selling post:  5 Essential Tips for Craft Fair Selling


Okay! I hope this is helpful. Please feel free to post more questions or concerns around your first show! I'm so excited for you, it's going to be great. My biggest tip as usual, is to have fun!! Whatever happens you will definitely learn, be seen, and be more ready for your next show. Enjoy the adventure! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beer Can Hat - Part 1

Beer Can Hat - Part 2

Beer Can Hat – Part 3