Taking Custom Orders - Keep it Simple





Taking Custom Orders - Keep it Simple


This was on my mind today, as I saw a horror story in one of my embroidery groups. The stitcher had taken a custom order, and the customer fought payment every step of the way. So much back and forth and craziness, until this poor woman was just done with custom orders. It can be frustrating! You put a lot of extra thought, planning, supplies and work into a special order, only to spend days (maybe weeks!) playing email tag and trying to get paid. At some point you have to decide what your boundaries are, and stick to them. Figure out a process that works for you, and spell it out for your customers ahead of time. Everyone will be happy.

I guess my general advice here is to make sure you are not doing a lot of extra work for free. A custom order should cost the customer more, not you. And also to keep the process as simple as you can. I'll outline some options in a moment, but overall you want to do this transaction with as few emails as possible. Be efficient and have a plan, it will save you headaches believe me. The more you have to go back and forth, the more opportunities they have to say, "oh this is too much trouble" and poof they are gone. 


Some things to consider around your custom work...

- Will you need extra design time? Or will you be using current designs?
- Will you need to buy extra supplies? Or is it in your usual run of production?
- Is it something you can sell, even if the client changes their mind? Or is it very specialized?


Think about these things, then decide if you even want to do a custom order. Maybe you love a challenge. Maybe it's not that much trouble to do and you like the extra sales. Or, maybe you don't like customers critiquing or altering your work. Maybe the extra money is not worth the hassle for you. There is no rule that says you must take custom orders. If you do, just be sure to charge for your time appropriately. And communicate as clearly as you can.


The next question would be, how much of a deposit do you ask for? 

You have 3 choices:
  1. Full payment upfront. - The best option. No email tag, just make it and ship it.
  2. Partial payment deposit. - Some folks take 50%, some less if it's a big ticket item. This does allow the customer to OK the final product before shipping. It should cover your supply costs at the very least, and be non refundable for your time and trouble.
  3. Pay when complete. - I don't recommend this one unless you know the person. And even then it's risky. If they don't give you any money at all, they have no reason to follow through. Even if they want the finished product, it's much easier for them to change their mind or forget all about it.

Yes it's a custom Pope hat.  I aim to please!


Here's what I do. 

I have dyed and printed clothing, in total about 10 colors and 10 prints. I offer only the colors and prints that I'm doing at the time. Because I limit to what I'm currently making, it's not very hard to just add it to my production schedule, so I don't charge them extra. I also don't make 1 piece at a time, I work in batches. Every month or two I make a bunch of items all together. So customers must wait until my next round of dyeing. That's the trade off. I ask for prepayment because, although it's fairly easy for me to do, it IS some extra work to order their special supplies, keep track of where their piece goes, and make sure it turns out extra perfect for them. Yes, I can probably sell it if they back out, but I like knowing I'm getting paid for my efforts. I don't get any complaints doing it this way.

My turn around time for custom is 4-6 weeks. I over estimate the timing, so they are pleasantly surprised when it shows up early. But I know it's well within my production schedule. If I think it will be sooner I'll tell them that, but I don't give a hard date unless they ask. You should definitely be honest and realistic about your turn around times. It's better for them to wait a little longer, than to have them mad because you didn't finish on time.

Have a Custom Order Process

If I'm in my booth, I have a little form I made (I'll try to post a pic later) to make it all very easy. On one half (for me), I have them fill out their name, phone, mailing adds, email. I note the date, the order, and that it was paid in full. On the other half (for them), I also note what they ordered, price, mark it PIF, date, and all my contact info. It has a little statement about expected turn around time, but I tell them verbally as well.

If you are talking to someone online, you can basically do the same thing. Try to ask all the pertinent order questions and give the customer the rundown in one or two emails. Again, you want to keep it simple!! Once they agree on the price and details, tell them you will send a payment invoice (full or partial). When you fill it out, include all the custom details (color, design, size, etc), list extra charges separately (added print, fancy finish, etc) so it's very clearly as you discussed in your previous conversations. That way they can double check everything, and you have an extra way to confirm what they ordered. I also include a note about turn around time as a reminder. When the customer pays, they will fill out their contact info and mailing address, so you will have it all in one spot.


However you decide to handle special orders, figure it out and then create a policy.  I think we worry sometimes about not wanting to offend our customers with rules, but every business has them. Boundaries are good. When someone wants what you have to offer, they will work within your guidelines. Just be confident about them. And if not, chances are you saved yourself a big headache.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beer Can Hat - Part 1

Beer Can Hat - Part 2

Beer Can Hat – Part 3