The Ultimate Craft Fair Checklist





The Ultimate Craft Fair Checklist


As I finished up my last post about Your First Craft Show, I was looking around my fb groups for an opportunity to share it. I actually saw a lot of first timers asking for *specific* items they might need that maybe they hadn't thought of yet. I get it! I have said to put everything on your checklist. But of course you may want to know *exactly* what is on that list!

So here I'll share my own checklist that I've used for years. As I've mentioned before, the checklist is maybe the most important thing you can use to prepare for your show. Because, if you're like me, you will be stressed and possibly overwhelmed by alllll the many details and items that you have to remember. Using a checklist will help you organize all those swirling thoughts and worries for you. At least mostly. And I'll bet you one crisp dollar bill that you will sleep a whole lot better when you have one. 

I started using my own checklist after one particular show I did a long time ago. It was a campout arts & music festival out of town, I took my brother as a helper and buddy. After we drove 90 minutes to get there, started unloading and setting up the booth, I realized I had forgotten to pack our sleeping gear for camping. We had not one blanket or pad or anything! And in a podunk town with zero stores that could help. Fail! Luckily my old boss lived in town and offered up his guest room for the night. Whew!  The very next weekend I had a checklist and I've used it ever since. 

I put every. single. thing. on it. As you will see. I get kind of frantic before a show, esp if I have to drive far. Sometimes I leave for weeks at a time. The checklist is gawd.

Here is the main part of my list (click to see larger):




Notice how I put related items together, that makes it easier for me to check my van sections when packing. I use a few organizing boxes too, which are bold so I can make sure they have what I need inside. 

Tool box:  I don't actually use any tools to put my booth together. So here I keep my...
  • Bungees - for strapping gridwalls to my tent.
  • S-hooks of dif sizes -  for hanging my mirror and dressing curtain.
  • Duck tape - for anything, everything! You never know.
  • Zip ties - for attaching gridwalls to each other, keeping the curtains from sagging.
  • Heavy duty spring clips - for closing up at night, keeping my sun umbrella attached to my tent.

Booth Box: So important! I am very strict about keeping these things in their place, they are useless if I can't find them:
  • Banner, signs
  • Business cards, info fliers
  • Biz licenses, show info (big plastic envelope)
  • Price tags - string tags, hangtags & pins for my clothing, round stickers for child sizes, jewelry tags for jewelry.
  • Scissors - for trimming zip ties, threads off clothes, who knows what.
  • Masking tape - get the good kind from the hardware store, for signs and whatnot.
  • Sharpie and spiral 3x5 notecards - for emergency sign making.

I also put personal items on there, to be sure I have my lunch, water, jacket, and sunglasses. When I'm leaving early in the morning or days before, I might not remember those things! and I'll definitely suffer without them.


I have another section just for going to shows out of town. Sometimes I piggyback shows to maximize my time and distance. I might be gone for a couple weeks or longer, so this part is important. Yes, there are stores everywhere, you can probably find what you need out in the world. But some items are special, and I'd rather not spend time shopping or hunting around needlessly.



If you are interested in how I do my show travels, where I stay, how I like to camp... check out these posts:




Boom! There you go. I hope it is helpful to someone starting out, or realizing it's time for their own detailed checklist. Get to work!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beer Can Hat - Part 1

Beer Can Hat - Part 2

Beer Can Hat – Part 3