My Cute Patchwork Sun Hat! How to Fix a Straw Cowboy Hat with Fabric Scraps - Hand Sewing

My Cute Patchwork Sun Hat! 

How to Fix a Straw Cowboy Hat with Fabric Scraps 

Easy Hand Sewing Repair


I just love this hat! It was all beat up, and broke more every time I wore it. Then I had the idea to start patching it with fabric. Genius!


Maximum Patchwork Affect

I kept all the patches in rectangular shapes for the max folksy patchwork affect. Then hand sew them onto both sides of the hole using a simple whip stitch and regular poly sewing thread. 

After both sides of the hat are patched, I do some running stitches through both patches to secure the whole thing well. Quilting it to the hat basically. 


My Favorite Busted Up Hat

It's actually pretty addictive once you get started. Ok for me it was, but I love hand sewing and embroidery.

The patches have held up remarkably well, and this is now my favorite hat. The ones on top have gotten a bit faded, but it took a few summers. I don't mind. 


Another Beautiful Day Where I Live

Okay here's the video, I kind of wing it honestly, more so than my other tutorials. Super casual sitting on my deck on a gorgeous summer day. Luke the dog and RonRon kitty make a brief showing.

 


Video: My Cute Patchwork Sun Hat! How to Fix a Straw Cowboy Hat with Fabric Scraps

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beer Can Hat - Part 1

Beer Can Hat - Part 2

Beer Can Hat – Part 3