How to Get Comfortable with Selling Your Artwork




How to Get Comfortable with Selling Your Artwork



I wrote a little bit about this here: Make the Switch to a Business Mindset. But I want to go more in  depth about getting comfortable with selling what you make. I know it's different. You start out making for the sake of making, it's fun, you get good at it, people want more. Boom suddenly you have a little business. Now you have to get a bit more "businessy" and actually try to sell stuff. You don't want to be pushy or annoying or ask too much of anyone. I totally get it.

But if you ARE in business, you just have to get over that. At least somewhat. Because you will have to "sell" your work, and the idea of it. I'm going to share how I overcame those feelings and gained a different perspective.

What I did was work on a marketing plan. I found some kind of outline with questions that helped me fine tune what it is I am selling. And to whom. Going through that process helped me to see something. And I want you to really pay attention right now. What I realized was that people actually WANT what I have for sale. I learned to look at why they like it, what my product does for them, how it makes them feel, or what it helps them to do for themselves. They have real reasons! It's not me trying to trick them into giving me their secret money stash. No. It's me trying to HELP them and make their life better through this lovely handmade item I have to offer.

Beyond all that, please know that the mere fact that you made it by hand, created a piece of art, made something from pretty much nothing... that alone has great value. To basically everyone. Some might not respond to your particular items, but others will. Guaranteed. 

Once you can get your head around this perspective, it will totally change how you sell. 



Consider these questions:

- What does your product do?
- What makes your work different than other similar booths?
- What issue can your item be helpful with?
- What do you hear your customers saying about your product?
- Why do you think people buy what you sell?
- What aspects of your product are special and why?
- What is your philosophy or motivation for making what you make?

Now, go write down your answers. (Writing always brings out more than your mind can do on its own. That's why I like journaling so much... always new ideas and conclusions just show up.) As you look over your answers, notice any patterns or items that jump out at you. The marketing aspect here is to use those attributes of your product in your sales pitch. In your web site and in talking to your customers. Point out the ways you can help them solve some of their problems. I mean, "problems" is kind of strong, but that's how the marketing folks lay it out.



So for my clothing, I'll give you some examples of my answers to these questions.

- What does your product do? 
It's clothing, it covers your body and makes you look cute.

- What makes your work different than other similar items? 
I use a dye process I made up myself, similar to tie dye but mellower.
I add prints to some items as well, don't see that much elsewhere. 
I focus on women only, so I have more cute styles that a traditional tie dye booth.

- What issue can your item be helpful with? 
Helps you look cute and feel comfy.
I carry larger sizes, which are hard to find in cute styles.

- What do you hear your customers saying about your product?  
They love the unique colors and textures and prints.
They love the soft feel of the natural fabrics, the comfort of the stretch.
They love the cute styles, flattering cuts, larger size options.
They say they get compliments whenever they wear my clothing.

- Why do you think people buy what you sell? 
They want to feel comfy and cute.
They want to look different than everyone else.
They used to enjoy bright tie dye, but now they want a mellower version.
They prefer natural fiber clothing.
They love art and handmade things.


- What aspects of your product are special and why? 
All natural fabrics are soft and ecogroovy.
My unique dye process looks different than most others.
I specialize in larger sizes because I had trouble finding clothing at festivals myself.
The styles are cute and the colors can be matched into outfits.

- What is your philosophy or motivation for making what you make?
I love textile art, and want to be able to enjoy it every day.
I want to offer beautiful items for every size woman.
I add prints that reflect my own love of nature and goddess power.
I want to show others they can follow their dreams and do what they love.


Okay I kind of went nuts there, but hopefully that gives you some good ideas. By the time you are done you might have a new view of how awesome your work is and why people want and need it in their lives. Now you should be able to narrow them down to a few good lines of information.



For me it comes down to these things: 
- unique dyed colors with a mellow "tie dye" feel
- a way to express your creativity through clothing
- original print designs like "Mermaid Moon" and "Joyful Dancers"
- soft 100% natural fabrics
- cute comfy styles that are flattering on many shapes
- broad range of sizes

After I did this exercise, I started using this info in my descriptions online, and in my booth with customers. When someone is interested in a skirt, for example, I will point out that it is flattering on pretty much everyone. Or that it comes in 2xl. Or that I wear them every day because they are so comfy. Or that any time of year I can wear sandals or leggings and boots and still it's the cutest skirt I own.

None of that is a hard sell, it's just facts. Here's why this item will make your life even more awesome.

Just try it. Turn your head around a little and look from the eyes of your customers. It will change your whole game!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beer Can Hat - Part 1

Beer Can Hat - Part 2

Beer Can Hat – Part 3