Wait, Have I Mentioned My New Store?

 

A lot happened I guess while I was away from my beloved blog. In November I opened a tiny store front in downtown Eureka, CA. I guess it was about a year before that when I started fantasizing about it... a place where I could sell my goods between festivals, even in winter when I usually pack all my stuff into boxes and get sad. A place where I could have some tiny bit of self discipline and a regular schedule to my work day. Something my husband thought I could never put up with... being tied to a thing like a schedule. Haha that is what I run from in normal day jobs, it's true. 

But this is mine. That's the difference. This is all me, my place, my work... even my schedule. I dare say it's the best day job ever. Well, because it's not a 'day job' it's just my job. I love it. 




It's still growing of course... I chose a location that is a little off the main shopping drag, but there is a lot of fun stuff happening in my neighborhood. A popular beer bar, a great pizza place, 2 big art galleries. And I am right next to the town's oldest chocolate shop. Hello! 

I also chose the tiniest retail space I have ever seen. They tell me it's 292 sq feet, but that is a generous evaluation. More like 250. But for me it is really perfect, it doesn't seem cramped at all. I even have a work table and have added artwork from local friends. Compared to my usual 10ft x 10ft space, it's great. I also knew that if I opened my first store in the middle of Old Town with 1500 sq ft... I would freak out trying to fill it and pay my rent each month. I feel much more comfortable starting small and growing slowly. That's how I roll.

My tiny clubhouse is perfect for me right now.
 


I have even hosted musicians during our monthly Arts Alive art walks, what a blast that is. I mean, it's much like being at a festival... some great music, drinks, selling my clothes, meeting folks. I really feel like since opening the shop - well, it feels like a creativity magnet. I am meeting so many interesting people, making new business connections, meeting more artists and musicians. Things are happening there.

I really love it. Have I said that enough? Here's a slide show I put together showing the evolution of my shop. If you are in the area, I hope you will come check it out. 511 6th St. (6th & F) Eureka.


Comments

  1. i enjoyed your last post on your old blog but was unable to comment there...
    very real stuff, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beer Can Hat - Part 1

Beer Can Hat - Part 2

Beer Can Hat – Part 3